Friday, April 11, 2008

Getting organised

Well trying to anyway. After months of talking about it suddenly I'm off this Sunday - be glad to just get onto the plane, sit down (in my cramped, economy class seat - not that I'm really complaining!) and chill out. Whatever isn't organised - too late...have a couple of good books (hopefully) - Tom Wolfe's Charlotte Simmons which should be good...what a great author, and then Melvyn Bragg - one of his medieval things - Credo - which I got at the Salvos for the princely sum of $1, can't be bad..I'll leave that on a plane somewhere for another fortunate soul! I think some poetry too - a good opportunity to put quality time into reading it.... and of course the mp3 player...And I suppose some more serious reading....including refereeing some stuff and a couple of heavy duty papers. In between will fit in a movie and hopefully snooze a bit - lucky it is a long way to LA!
OK, packing tomorrow and last minute stuff - how come I can never find those multiple adapter plug thingos I buy every time I go overseas then lose somewhere - oh for a world wide standard - a good example of the usefulness of international standards. For my first post, that'll do - though sudden thought, on things literary, if you want a serious, thought provoking read that you'll need to re-read a few times to get the idea..and even then!...plus a dictionary...then check out American Vertigo by French sociologist Bernard Henri-Levy - his use of (English) language is great and he has a lot of provoking ideas re American society today - so I am all primed to descend into it!

No comments: