Monday, May 19, 2008

Foreign parts


Up at another unholy hour – 4.15am – though by the time I left for the airport, was already getting light. So the shortest flight I’ve done on this trip – Manchester to Gatwick – and the only one on BA and surprise, surprise….my bag doesn’t make it with me. Not really a surprise, Manchester airport was heaving with people and not enough staff on anywhere..I had to jump the check in q else I’d still be there and the security was way over the top.
So I make it to Gatwick and spend ages filling out forms re bag – which ends up taking a trip to Zurich before reuniting with me in Ljubljana the next day! Not a major prob but c’mon BA – this is getting a habit!
Ljubljana is surprisingly (I thought) small. Easy to get round – I hired a bike for the day and saw it all. It is very bike friendly – lots of bike paths etc and fairly flat for most of it. The usual medieval type square and lots of cobblestones – dodgy on the bike. And of course it decided to rain just after I took off – so did get pretty wet – but could’ve been worse. Checked out Slovenian impressionists exhibition at the Nat Gallery – just like everyone else’s impressionists! But they also had a great display of book art – covers and illustrations – from turn of the 20th century – lots of art deco designs and with their script quite unique – really good. Also did the national museum and learnt a bit about Slovenian history.
Surprising lot of church bells too - not too early, and definately not like Italy but along those lines..
Lectures start tomorrow – so preparing for that. Had a quick look at the Uni – very 19th century and attractive and bang in the middle of town – a bit different to CSU!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Bob,

you're making me very jealous. Its boring and cold in old in Canberra town. Talk soon.